Friday, November 9, 2007

J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the ...


Can a grown man admit to liking Harry Potter? I hope so, because I’m doing that now. But it’s hard to think of what to say that hasn’t already been said. Mainly I feel that this series entered my life as a good friend, and it’s a little sad to know there aren’t more books coming. But I know that in a couple years I can reread the entire series and enjoy it again.

I’ve always wondered about the people who protest against Harry Potter books – the people that want them banned. I can understand that there are people out there who simply are not interested. Not everyone enjoys the suspension of reality that goes with a good fantasy. But not buying the books is different from trying to keep others from buying them.

I’ve never talked to someone who wants the books banned, but I hear the problem is that they promote witchcraft. To me that’s like being opposed to Disney cartoons because they promote talking mice and ducks. This is all pretend! JK Rowling has imagined an interesting world of magic, fleshed it out with fun incidents. And while at it she has put in a classic struggle of good versus evil. And there is never any doubt that she prefers good.

So where does the opposition come from? Is it the same source as the Salem Witch Trials of the 1690s? To most of us, these books are a fun story with a fun premise. But I suppose if you really believe in witchcraft, you could see this as subversive. How else can you be offended by promoting witchcraft?

In any case, Rowling has given us a good ride, and I appreciate it.

No comments: