Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sandra Brown: Ricochet

Earlier this year I attended a graduation ceremony at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth. At the beginning of the ceremony, they awarded an honorary doctorate to Sandra Brown. I had been aware of her books for a long time, but for some reason that I can’t explain, I had never read one. I was impressed by what they said about her, so I decided it was time to try her.

I picked Ricochet out of two or three options on the shelf at Walmart. It turns out to have been a good choice.

The book opens with Detective Duncan Hatcher in court for the trial of a long time nemesis, Robert Savitch. When Judge Cato Laird declares a mistrial and sets Savitch free, Hatcher ignores restraint from his partner, DeeDee Bowen, and speaks his mind. He ends up with a couple days in jail for contempt.

At an awards dinner, Hatcher is attracted to a woman, who turns out to be Elise Laird, the judge’s wife. The next major event is that Hatcher and Bowen are called to the scene of a shooting. Apparently Elise Laird has shot and killed an intruder.

But it is not as simple as it seems. Elise Laird tells things to Hatcher that she does not tell her husband. And Hatcher does not tell everything to his partner. The plot spins on as the judge interferes, his wife disappears, and Savitch pops up in unexpected places. All very complicated and enjoyable.

It’s fun to like Hatcher, although I think I may like Bowen more. And the bad guys are thoroughly bad. The complexities are intricate, the thrills thrilling. What more could I ask for? I thoroughly enjoyed Ricochet, and will keep Sandra Brown on my reading list, belated though I am.

No comments: